On Nov. 30 at 9:45 A.M., Santa Clara County Fire called for Fire Associates help at a 2nd-alarm fire in Morgan Hill. The fire was burning in a 4-plex apartment unit located at 18216 Hale Ave. in Morgan Hill. John Whitaker answered the call with Support Unit 2. He was met on scene by George Hoyt and Mike Chappell. Mike lives only a few blocks away from this address.
The fire started on the second floor on the 2-story townhouse. An unattended candle was apparently the cause. Adequate fire blocks in the structure kept the severe damage limited to the involved unit and minor damage occurred in one adjoining apartment. First-arriving fire crews found flames rolling out of the bedroom window and a second alarm was called almost immediately. Everyone made it out of the apartment safely and firefighters were busy on scene until the early afternoon with overhaul.
Fire Associates set up rehab on Hale Ave., just west of the fire scene. With bright blue autumn skies and little wind, Gatorade, water and Cliff Bars were in demand on an afternoon when temperatures reached into the lows 70s. Support Unit 2 was released from the scene at 12:45 P.M. and was back in quarters by 1:30 P.M.
- A Morgan Hill Times news story can be read at: Candle Causes Townhome Blaze
- John Whitaker's photos can be viewed at: Hale Avenue Blaze