Friday, September 25, 2009

September 24, 2009 -- A Busy, 2-Response Day for Fire Associates

hortly after Fire Associates Board members had adjourned their afternoon meeting at Station 26 in San Jose, our pagers became very active.

1) First to call for our service was Palo Alto Fire. FASCV was paged at 2:57 P.M. to 420 Emerson Street in that city for a 2-alarm fire in a restaurant. Bob Gundrum and Jerry Haag responded with Support Unit 1. They were on the road returning from the Board meeting when the call arrived. Jerry Haag has submitted this report:

Date: 24 Sept. 2009
Time: 1457 Sonitrol dispatch, 1600 arrival, released at 1730.
Type: Structure fire
Size: Second alarm
Jurisdiction: City of Palo Alto
Location: 420 Emerson St.

Details: Single-story, fancy French restaurant (Evvia Estiatorio). Fire, apparently associated with cooking equipment, spread into ceiling space. Good stop. Restaurant can be returned to operation fairly soon. Overhaul was fairly minimal, so our services were not required for very long. Second-alarm units were quickly released.

Units in attendance:
PAF: E-1,2,3, T-6 (Joint PA/MV Quint); BS-2; Medic-1; Batt. 6
MTV: E-3, T-1
CNT: Batt. 14

Responding Members: Gundrum (driver), Haag
Fire Support Unit Responding: FSU-1

Remarks: Gundrum and Haag responded from SJS Station 26. No other members from NW County were available.

** Above photo by Will Oremus/Daily News

2) Then, at 6:18 PM, San Jose Fire issued a request for Fire Associates. This time, a house was on fire at
1370 Mocho Court -- near the intersection of Tully Rd. and McLaughlin Ave. John Whitaker responded in Support Unit 2 and he was met by FASCV member George Hoyt. This being a 3-alarm fire in a residential neighborhood, space was at a premium. Upon arrival, John found streets full of fire equipment and a maze of hoses leading from several hydrants to the blaze.

The closest the Support Unit could get to the scene was 2 blocks away. Med 30 directed that their only need was for cold water, as his supply was running low. Later in the evening, George made a meal-run (burritos) at the direction of the IC. Meals were provided for the two engine companies and one truck that were staying to do the extensive overhaul.

The support unit was released shortly after 10:00 P.M. and was back in quarters at 10:30 P.M.