On Saturday morning, Jan. 16, service from Fire Associates was requested from the Milpitas Fire Department. Despite some irregularities with the paging system, and a battery problem with Support Unit 1, FASCV responded to the incident and rendered service with Support Unit 2. Jerry Haag has submitted the following report:
Date: 16 Jan 2010
Time: 1151 initial Sonitrol dispatch, Haag responded to SNC Sta. 9 to pick up FSU-1. FSU-1 would not start (dead battery), Haag had Sonitrol page out FSU-2, Don Gilbert responded with FSU-2, 1315 arrival, released at 1500.
Type: Structure fire
Size: Second alarm
Location: 837 Calero St.
Details: Small, single-story dwelling. Engine 3 first on scene, found building fully involved.
Responding Members: Gilbert (driver), Green, Haag, Dembecki
Fire Support Unit Responding: FSU-2
Remarks: Despite delayed response, many firefighters served and much thanks received. Thanks to Don for prompt coverage of this call.
In addition, Bruce Dembecki has added the following details to the incident:
The fire is believed to have started at the rear of the house while the occupants were cooking outside. The fire was fueled by grease and propane. The residents were quite upset about their missing small dog. About four hours after the fire started, cheers erupted as firefighters emerged from the inside of the house carrying the scared, but mostly unscathed, pup. It had managed to hide itself sufficiently to escape the fire (and earlier detection by the fire crews).
Finally, the debris build-up around the side of the house (and inside the house) caused the firefighters considerable difficulties during the firefight and afterwards. Ultimately, they called in a Bobcat from Milpitas DPW to pull apart the structure and debris on the Delta side of the house.
- Bruce Dembecki's photo album can be viewed at: Milpitas House Fire