At 4:16 A.M. on Saturday, Jan. 22, Fire Associates responded to a special request from the San Jose Fire Department. A car was sitting on top of a broken gas meter at 1190 S. Second St. Don Gilbert responded with Support Unit 2 and was joined on scene by George Hoyt, John Whitaker and Bruce Dembecki.
Although the incident amounted to the equivalent of a first-alarm response, it was expected that firefighters would be on scene for an extended period of time while PG&E crews dig up the street to access a shut-off point. However, shortly after FASCV members arrived and set up a rehab location on W. Humbolt St., PG&E announced that they had been able to access a valve and had stopped the flow of natural gas. No digging was necessary. So, fire crews were released and enjoyed our hot coffee and Clif Bars before going back in service. After breaking down rehab, FASCV members celebrated the early departure by going to a nearby Denny's and having breakfast.
- Bruce Dembecki's photos can be viewed at: Second Street Gas Leak
- A SJ Mercury-News story can be read at: Accident Causes Gas Leak
-- Accompanying photos by Bruce Dembecki