At approximately 10:30 A.M., on Thursday June 21, workers installing new water mains struck and ruptured a 4-in. gas main at the intersection of W. Main Ave. and Hale Ave. in Morgan Hill. A 911 call was made and County Engine 3 was dispatched from Dunne Hill Fire Station to investigate. With gas hissing out of the excavation and accumulated water bubbling the incident was escalated to a full Hazmat incident, and additional County and Cal Fire resources were dispatched. An extended ETA from PG&E prompted County to request Fire Associates support on the incident.
On scene firefighers set up some protection lines and worked to reduce the potential for a larger problem. Fire Associates member Don Gilbert arrived on scene with Fire Support Unit 3 and was met by member Mike Chappell. Cold drinks were in high demand in the middle of a summer day, and lunch was served to the teams on scene.
Eventually, PG&E arrived but there were difficulties involved in getting the gas main pinched off. Eventually, around 3:00 P.M., the leak was sealed and all units packed up and went home.
- A Gilroy Patch news article can be read at: Daycare Center Evacuated
- A YouTube video can be viewed at: Gas Leak
-- Report Submitted by Don Gilbert