Tuesday, August 14, 2012

FASCV Responds to House Fire In South San Jose

Photo By Bruce Dembecki
On Tuesday night, August 14, Fire Associates was paged by the San Jose Fire Department to a house fire in South San Jose. The 10:52 P.M. call was for a house fire at 6263 Lean Ave. John Whitesdie responded for Fire Associates in Fire Support Unit 3. He was met at the fire by Bruce Dembecki, John Whitaker and Walter Huber (guest), and later, Dan Wong arrived on scene.
The fire was officially listed as a first alarm response, but with an extra truck company on scene, and an additional engine company, the IC reported that they were actually one engine short of a 2nd alarm. The first-due truck company (T-35) was busy on a medical call at the time of the dispatch, but made themselves available within a short time.

First-arriving engine companies reported flames above the roof on the "Charlie" side of the two-story structure. Crews on the ground reported that flames were coming out of both upstairs windows on the back of the home. Two attack lines were placed into the building and the interior firefighters reported "...heavy flames at the top of the stairs." With all residents and several pets safely outside, the truck companies concentrated on ventilation of the roof and one crew was assigned to begin pulling ceilings to expose more of the fire. In addition, crews reported that the upstairs floor was also burning, so a third attack line was positioned on the ground floor. After knockdown was achieved, the fire required extensive overhaul. The overhaul work was complicated by the fact that the fire had burned a hole from the second floor through to the first floor.

Fire Associates provided the usual coffee, Gatorade, water and lemonade to exhausted firefighters in Rehab. Although it was a middle-of-the-night fire, the nighttime summer temperature of 64 degrees made the firefighting effort hotter than usual. After all crews were rested, FSU-3 was released from service at 1:20 A.M.