|Photo By Bruce Dembecki|
The home owner had been awoken by functioning smoke detectors and upon a search of the home found downstairs was clear, but upstairs was somewhat smokey. Outside, they discovered a chimney fire and set about attacking the fire with a garden hose. They quickly realized the fire was out of control and evacuated, finding pets and getting out, while calling 911. Fire units making the trek out to Casa Loma Rd. discovered a two-story residence fully engulfed in flames.
Water Tenders were used to establish a water supply from a hydrant back at the Cinnabar Hills Golf course while engine crews worked to keep the fire out of the vegetation and nearby exposures safe. The home was completely destroyed, with nothing more than the original chimney and half a wall here and there remaining.
Fire Associates were requested shortly before 5:00 A.M. and were on the road shortly thereafter. John Whiteside brought Fire Support Unit 3 to the scene and was met by Bruce Dembecki. Coffee and donuts were the order of the day, as temperatures were in the low 30s upon arrival of FSU-3. Fire Associates remained on scene until the night crews were replaced by a fresh shift to oversee the mop-up operations, and were released soon after 9:00 A.M. Fire Associates left the fireground at 9:20 A.M. and FSU-3 was back at San Jose Fire Station 35 by 10:00 A.M.
Thanks to the home owners functioning smoke detectors, no-one was injured, though there was nothing left of the house.
- Bruce's photos can be viewed at: Casa Loma House Fire