Friday, February 26, 2016

San Jose Firefighters Call In 4-Alarm Blaze

Photo By Craig Allyn Rose
Just after noon on Friday, February 26, San Jose Fire Department’s Truck 30 noticed heavy flames coming from a residence across the street from the station on Auzerais Ave. Calling in immediately for a first and second alarm response, they went to work evacuating residents. The fire rapidly spread to the "Bravo 1", "Charlie 1", "Delta 1", and "Delta 2" exposures, leaving flames attacking multiple properties. Within 25 minutes, the IC, now Battalion 10, had escalated the incident to 3 alarms, and soon 4 alarms.
With the 3rd alarm dispatch, Fire Associates assistance was requested. Fortunately, our driver, Don Gilbert, was able to navigate Fire Support Unit 2 from the west side of Auzerais Ave. all the way into the fire scene, and it was quickly decided to set up Rehab INSIDE the apparatus bay at Fire Station 30. While Don was setting up the primary Rehab at Station 30, Fire Associates volunteer Bruce Dembecki was working to get cold drinks to crews working behind the fire ground on the "Charlie" side. County EMS joined the Fire Support Unit inside Station 30 to conduct a formal Rehab.
Apart from the very unusual benefit of running Rehab from an indoors location, there was the added benefit of being at Fire Station 30 -- home to Fire Associates' Rehab hydration supplies. So, water and Gatorade were pulled right off the station shelves -- instead of using the supplies on Fire Support Unit 2.
With Rehab up and running, FASCV members set about feeding the fire crews. Bruce made a run to a local restaurant and picked up 90 meals, and brought them back to set up a spot for lunch right in the apparatus bay at Station 30. We know serving meals happens multiple times a day at Station 30, but never before 90 meals at lunchtime! Fire Associates members George Hoyt, Rick James, and Mike Garcia also reported to duty at Station 30 to assist with the meal service.
By 4:00 P.M., crews had been fed and some teams were being released to go back into service. With a supply of drinks on hand and benches to provide remaining crews a break, it was decided FSU-2 could also go back into service. The rig was packed up and returned to service at 4:30 P.M., dropping off the left over meals to the BFO where an academy class was happy to meet Fire Associates and get an extra meal!
-- Report submitted by Bruce Dembecki