Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Latest Fire Associates Response Reports

Your friendly "Blog Master" (me) has been lounging in the Tropics for few weeks. I know, I know -- "It's a tough life". With my absence, fire reports have been delayed.

But, I’m back on the Mainland and it's time to get caught up…

1) Thursday, October 15, 2009

Palo Alto Fire called for Fire Associates’ service at at 6:52 P.M. Jerry Haag and Ron Green responded and were met by Len Williams driving Support Unit 1. Jerry submitted this report…

Date: 15 Oct. 2009
Time: 1854 Sonitrol dispatch, 1930 arrival by Green and Haag, 2045 arrival by FSU-1, released at 2130.
Type: Structure fire
Size: Second alarm
Jurisdiction: Palo Alto
Location: 965 Addison Avenue

Details: Single-family, single-story building.

Responding Members: Williams (driver), Green, Haag
Fire Support Unit Responding: FSU-1

Remarks: Extended response time of FSU-1 due to mistaken cancellation of Fire Associates response by Palo Alto Dispatch and then reinstatement. They meant to cancel only the Overhead Support Team.

2) Wednesday, October 21, 2009

At 5:47 A.M., San Jose Fire paged Fire Associates for a house fire in the Almaden Valley. Located at 5827 Brasilia Way, the fire was burning in an apparently vacant home. John Whiteside responded in Support Unit 2 and was joined by FASCV member, Mike Chappell. John submitted this report…

"Oct. 21, SJFD structure fire, 5827 Brasilia Way, at the end of the road and up the hill. This is near the SW corner of the intersection of Almaden Expressway and Coleman Road. Initially, a 2nd alarm but later downgraded. At about 0330, a caller reported a column of smoke in the area, but it took some time to locate and access the incident. Our page came in about 0550 and I reached the scene with Support Unit 2 and 3 doz. donuts at about 0630. Met by Mike Chappell with George Hoyt joining around lunchtime to see if meals were needed. We were already working on the order and George picked up 42 Togo’s.

When I arrived, only E13 and T13 were on scene, with T13 starting to leave. Single 3” supply line up the driveway. I wondered ‘what do I do with 3 doz donuts?’ About 0730, Sta. 5 personnel arrived with the Porta Potty and, during a walk-around tour, they and E13 noticed a body at the bottom of the basement stairs, in the water. The house had been rendered unsafe to enter. Looking thru the windows gave the impression it was empty, with no furniture. Also, there was much obscene, spray-painted graffiti on a garage wall.

That’s when things got very busy. Now, a possible crime scene!!! Soon, we had 4 SJPD cars, detectives, SJFD chiefs, Coroner’s office, SJPD Crime Lab van, HIT 29, USAR 5, etc. County’s arson dog (Rosie) was also called in. We had to wait until the Coroner retrieved the body, secured the scene, and departed. We got many thanks from all -- especially the Detectives and PD officers. We reminded them of how to request FA when needed.

We were on scene 9 hours. Not intense work for us, just coffee, lemonade and lunch. We checked out via PD security and went home around 1530."

3) Monday, October 26, 2009

Our most recent call occurred early Monday morning, Oct. 26 at 2:27 A.M. Milpitas Fire called for our assistance at a single-family house fire. Located at 610 Tramway Drive, the fire was in a residential neighborhood near the intersection of Interstate 680 and Jacklin Road. John Whitaker responded with Support Unit 2 and was met on scene by FASCV member Ron Green.

From the street, the structure looked undamaged due to a screen fence and vegetation that blocked the view of the home. Unfortunately, the screening also hindered firefighters’ access to the home which made suppression activities more difficult. Also, most of the fire was located in “add-on” rooms at the rear of the home. The fire was extinguished by the time FASCV arrived on scene, but our services were needed on a chilly morning. Crews remained to overhaul the structure and wait for shoring material so investigators could search for clues to the fire’s origin.

After serving a lot of coffee and donuts, Fire Associates was released from the incident at approximately 5:00 A.M.