At 1:19 P.M. on Sunday, March 14, Santa Clara County Fire paged Fire Associates for a 2nd alarm response at 778 Sharmon Palms Lane in Campbell. Bruce Dembecki responded with Fire Support Unit 2. On scene, Bruce was joined by Jerry Haag, John Whitaker and Cliff Smith. Bruce has sumitted the following report:
Bruce left SJFD Station 6 at 1:45 P.M. and reporting to scene around 2:00 P.M. Upon arrival, Jerry Haag was already working with the IC to determine the location for Rehab. Fire Associates set up a Rehab center with plenty of water, Gatorade and lemonade on the warm, spring-like . Donuts were also served and proved to be quite popular.
The fire originated in the downstairs, rear apartment of a four-apartment block. The building was well alight when firefighters first arrived on scene and the building was a total loss. The fire apparently started when a resident lost control of a cooking fire, spilling oil on the burners which then spread. Four families were displaced and the Red Cross was on scene to help them all find alternative accommodations.
Shortly after Fire Associates arrived, the IC (B/C Carol Miller) was making a lunch plan for the large crew on scene. Fire Associates president, John Whitaker, was dispatched from the scene to picked up 40 sandwiches from a nearby Togo's. By the end of the afternoon, all the sandwiches, 4 cases of water, 3 cases of Gatorade and 4 dozen donuts were gone. Fire Associates was released from the scene at and FSU 2 was restocked and awaiting the next call by 5:45 P.M.
County Fire crews on scene included Engines 3, 8, 9, 10, 11; Trucks 1 and 5; Rescue 3 and 17; 2; and Breathing Support 2;. The incident was managed by Battalions 3 (Parker), 2 (Miller) & 14 (Prziborowski), Duty Safety Officer (Captain Rapport) along with the Duty Investigator (Davis).
- A San Jose Mercury-News story can be read at: 2-Alarm Campbell Apartment Fire
- John Whitaker's photos are at: Campbell Apartment Fire
- Bruce's photos are at: Sharmon Palms Lane Fire
- Photos by Craig Allyn Rose can be viewed at: Fire Destroys Campbell Complex
- A Google Street View image of the address is at: 778 Sharmon Palms Lane